Last night I watched the London Olympic Opening Ceremony and honestly, I don’t think it will be one for the books. It was interesting how they portrayed the different stages the UK’s history, but it wasn’t breathtaking like the Chinese performances. However, I have to say the Queen gets an A+ from me.
As I am not a huge TV watcher, I needed something to nosh on while I watched cartoons. So I decided to whip up these amazingly light and fluffy lemon donut muffins. They aren’t too too sweet but they have a darn good lemon flavor. I filled mine with a silky smooth lemon curd (home made of course) and rolled them in butter and sugar to give them a nice crust when they finished baking. They are just devine
Mini Lemon Donut Muffins with Lemon Curd
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 tsp lemon zest
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar, for rolling
2/3 cup lemon curd (pref. homemade)
1.Preheat oven to 350F, grease a muffin tin with any cooking spray or butter
2. Wisk flour, baking powder and salt
3. Beat together sugar and egg until it is a light brown color. Then add the oil, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
4 Gradually add flour to the sugar and egg mixture, alternating with additions of buttermilk.
5. Divide into miffin tin (about 3/4 full)
6. Bake for 9-11 minutes
7. Melt butter and place in small bowl. Place sugar in a separate bowl.
8. Remove donuts from pan, dip in butter and roll in sugar, and let cool.
9. When cool, pipe each one with approx 1 teaspoon of lemon curd (optional)
What did you think about the London Opening Ceremony?